December 15, 2020
WINTER STORM WARNING – Update #3
The National Weather Service has upgraded Western Monmouth County to a WINTER STORM WARNING in effect from noon Wednesday, December 16 until 10am Thursday, December 17. Heavy mixed precipitation is expected with total sleet and snow accumulations of 5 to 10 inches. Winds may gust as high as 50mph.
Snow will move into the area Wednesday afternoon or early evening. The snow may become heavy at times Wednesday evening and overnight. There will likely be a sharp gradient in snow totals across Monmouth County due to snow mixing with or changing to sleet or rain. Travel is expected to become very difficult, especially for the Wednesday evening and Thursday morning commute times.
The Marlboro Department of Public Works (DPW) is pre-treating main roads and we ask that you give them a wide berth.
The heavy snow combined with high winds could result in power outages. We have been in contact with both our JCP&L and Optimum representatives. Please review the following so you will be able to quickly report outages and receive updates should outages occur:
Optimum - In the event services are impacted, visit My Account for service updates. Reporting outages, text alerts and FAQs:
- Message Optimum at optimum.net/chat
- Send Tweet to @Optimumhelp
- Call (866) 950-3278
- Receive service alerts via text or voice message by going to My Account.
- Many of these resources, as well as storm preparation recommendations and frequently asked questions, are also available at https://www.optimum.net/pages/storm-preparedness.html
JCP&L – Outages should be reported to JCP&L.
- Communication Tools for both reporting and outage and service updates are available on-line https://www.firstenergycorp.com/help/communication_tools.html
- Important phone numbers and on line reporting information was sent with Update #2 and linked HERE
Please take the time before the storm to be prepared:
- Please ensure your home and cell are registered for SWIFT 911 and, if you did not receive this letter via email, register for Township email blasts by clicking HERE: https://marlboro-nj.gov/resident-communications
- We remind you that Township ordinance requires that there are no parked cars, basketball hoops or other obstructions in the roadways when the road is snow-covered.
- Please remove any unsecured holiday or lawn decorations that could become dangerous projectiles in high wind.
The Office of Emergency Management continues to monitor the storm. Please take this time to review the prior preparedness messages and the Recycling Calendar’s Surviving the Snow
Have a good evening,
Mayor Jon Hornik